Thursday 20 September 2012

Analysis of 70's and 80's music video's.

Looking into music videos I analysed both an 70's music video and a 80's music video; with and without music.

The Beatles-Penny Lane-70's


When watching the video without music I could clearly tell that there was a narrative inolving the band members. As it's an old song I didnt enjoy the music video as the camera was at poor quality, apart from this I had no instant dislikes. I got a sense that the song was trying to portray the area as something particular, my first thoughts were a happy, friendly place. When looking at the focus and drifts of this video I noticed the focus was on the protagonist and often drift to show everyone the surroundings.
When watching the video with music I realised my earlier point about the narrative was correct and most of the time the music video did link to the lyrics. I did at first believe it would be a depressing song without music and my opinion changed whilst listening to the music, as you get a good view of the place he is describing.

The Clapping Song- Belle Stars- 80's.

 
 
 
My original thoughts on this video when watching it without music is that the music would be upbeat and a generally happy song. However, I had a few dislikes about the video; I thought that for a music video there is far too much band footage and without the music you dont get a general idea of what the song is about. When focusing on the attention of the camera and if there were any drifts, I found the video only focus on the party and the protagonist having fun. All these create the impression that they are at a festival.
When watching the video with music I still had the same thoughts. I also noted that the song doesnt really have a meaning, its just a happy upbeat song, one of which would have been used to dance and party to, linking it to the music video. When looking at the visual stimuli I just observe the protagonists being happy, therefore, I'd say that the stimuli is fun and partying.

No comments:

Post a Comment